11 Jan 2011

C'est Panam!

Now some thoughts on Paris, as I have to admit that some readers were right to argue that parts of my previous post were „boring“, „like reading a geographical atlas“. So I will try to be different from Google Maps.



It is a great city to visit. Big news! Of course, there are so many beautiful sights and interesting museums, but you can find information about them in any travel guide. I also feel that Paris is trying to sell a dream: a dream of beautiful liberated women but also a dream of couply happiness. Call me a cynic, but those padlocks on the Pont des Arts with the lovers' names on them are just soooooo ( how many vowels are acceptable?) romantic and what a dream it is to stand on the Eiffel tower kissing your loved one! Urgh.

Paris is so much more than just the postcard side of it. There are many other aspects to it. The cultural diversity of the banlieues and the many arrondissements is easily overlooked. The Paris I like is the Paris of my cousin: Young people, going out every day of the week, interested in arts and independent cinema. That's where I can imagine to fit in, opposed to being squeezed onto an Eiffel-tower postcard. All what's of interest is fashion, beauty and stylishness. Also, the social problems I associate with Paris are quickly forgotten when talking about the 'City of Love'. Of course there is a often a big difference between visiting a place and living there, but I feel in Paris the divide between the two couldn't be wider.

I also have to admit that rediscovering Paris was a great experience. I remember visiting it with Adna about three and a half years ago and I was probably the worst guide imaginable. Criticising every single thing, acting unimpressed in front of every beautiful building: “I guess it's nice”. My poor poor Adna, I feel for her now and I regret being such a terrible host. Since then I have grown up and I have gained perspective on France... and I have already told Adna that I owe her a great city visit! 

1 comment:

  1. Living in / around Paris if you can't afford it is rather depressing

    ReplyDelete