6 Oct 2010

Granada- ¿Qué tal?

Well, now I have become a bit more accustomed to the city, I can write about my second observations.

First the weather. Yes, it's hot. Well in the afternoon; because at night it gets really cold so that you have a far bigger temperature difference than in the places I'm used to. For tomorrow we have 8 °C / 25 °C sunshine :D I wonder how long the cold is going to stay out of my room. I have stopped believing that they know anything about double glazing or central heating here.

The city is slowly becoming my home, and I am less afraid of the fast-talking locals. The arabic stores have lost their touristy appeal, most of the time. At every corner, the cheap scarves, earrings and decoration items seem to stare at you.



Another thing that we all had to get used to, is the Spanish timing. No way to go shopping in the afternoon after 2 o'clock... or before 6. In the University most offices are open between 10 and 14... But for the last days, I have tried a siesta myself. It's great actually!

I am also ashamed to say that I haven't visited the Alhambra yet. The Alhambra ( Arabic: الْحَمْرَاء‎, Al-Ḥamrā' , literally "the red one") is the fortress on one of the hills surrounding Granada. It is only visible from the city centre rooftops, because the narrow streets don't necessarily allow broad a broad view on the surroundings. But I am definitely planning on going and to come back in awe like all the people who have been there. It has reached a level of popularity that one has make a reservation for the visit! For now I will enjoy the view from our rooftop terrace, where the afternoon heat gives me some last impressions of summer!

I will be back soon, but I have miles to go before I sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment